Quality Healthcare- A Need of Naskikites
3 years back many people assumed that quality came only with higher costs; and quality meant new technologies, new medicines and more and highly qualified staff. But by adopting best practices even regular hospitals can give excellent healthcare services. This is possible and proved. Extensive use of media, Internet and Social Media gives fast and increasing awareness among the patients and their relatives; on top of that limited rates of insurance companies and government healthcare schemes with demand of quality in services results healthcare Industry to adopt best practices for reducing their setup cost, manpower cost and also operational cost. There have been number of events of poor care, lack of facilities, unnecessary procedures and big gap of communication for getting information, all this call for the attention on our healthcare delivery system.
Simplifying the rocket science of Quality
Every alternate day we hear about new diseases, new drugs and their reactions. On the other hand where we also setting a benchmark for medical tourism, macro-micro Insurance, Occupational Health Standards and telemedicine; but what about Quality of patient care?
Generally hospitals are divided into three types of categories primary care (Basic health Issues), secondary care (Moderate health Issues) and tertiary care (Severe health Issues). Source estimated that in India there are more than 16000 hospitals are operating and only 30% are public sector. While 70 per cent of hospitals in the private sector have less than 30 beds, about 10 per cent of hospitals are with beds in the range of 30-100.
Only six to seven per cent of the hospitals are with more than 100 beds. In all this medico jargons; how we are going to classify the quality?
There are number of rules and regulations from government but hospitals are requiring standard guideline to follow, in this regards accreditation will definitely help. Accreditation is based on standards, accountability and motivates hospitals to practice continual excellence. Excellence means enormous focus on Manpower, Facilities, Infection Control, Monitoring of Medications, Patient Medical Records, Patient Satisfaction Indices, Standard Operating Protocols and Transparency in Pricing.
Check-list of getting quality healthcare
- Medical aid right for your illness.
- Medical aid is given without unnecessary delay/s.
- Health care understands your needs and preferences.
- Health care prevents cause harm.
- No unnecessary medical tests and procedures in the name of better health.
- Equal and fair Policy to all and not affected by such things as your gender, language, color, age or income.
How do I check all this?
- Awareness about quality healthcare.
- Choose a doctor or hospital wisely; learn about practices whether they are following industry standards or not. You can find this information on Internet sites like www.nrhm.gov.in. If you do not have Internet access, you can find information at the library.
- Dialog with your doctor or nurse about your needs.
- List of questions should be on paper, you want to ask your doctor about your health problem and procedures.
- Keep a record of all the medicines you take, your allergies, procedures and injuries. Give this information to your doctor.
- Make sure your family or friend with you to visit doctor.
- Ask doctor how to take medicines and follow the same.
- Take care of yourself.
- Small parts of meal three times a day.
- No means No smoking
- Avoid alcohol.
- Be Positive.
Still finding difficult; simply go to hospital that having following accreditation/s
Accreditation in India for hospitals:–
ISO- Indian Standards for Organizations for Hospitals- ISO 9001 (Ex:-Malegaon Primary Health Centre)
NABH: – National Accreditation Board for Hospitals (Ex:-Wockhardt Hospital, Apollo Hospital are practicing NABH standards)
JCI: – Joint Commission International (Ex:-Aditya Birla Hospital, Narayana Hrudayalaya Health City)
Bottom-line every Nasikaites deserves quality healthcare. You can make sure you get the best health care when you are sick or hurt by understanding what quality healthcare is and steps to take to improve your health.