Nashik zilla parishad chalks out weekly sanitation plan
The Nashik zilla parishad (ZP) has chalked out a weekly plan to ensure cleanliness in the villages and talukas of the district to implement the Swachh Bharat Abhiyan-the sanitation campaign of the Centre, effectively. It has also received additional guidelines to implement the campaign, for which the ZP would get additional funds.
“The Nashik zilla parishad has initiated the move in many villages in the district. As many as 10 officials from the department are reaching villages to create awareness about the campaign and conduct various programmes,” This would include students and locals offering community services once a week to ensure that the campaign is implemented100 hours of the week,” said deputy chief officer at the water and sanitation department Pratibha Sangamnere.
Sangamnere said daily programmes like cleaning anganwadis, schools, the village premises, water sources, government offices would be conducted.
The Centre would bear 75% of the funds while the state would have to contribute the remaining 25%. There would be provision of functional toilets for houses that come under the Indira Awas Yojana. Till such a provision is made, the existing funding arrangement will be continued under the Swachh Bharat Mission (rural).
Sangamnere said that all other components of the Nirmal Bharat Abhiyan that is Solid Liquid Waste Management (SLWM) and Community Sanitary Complexes (CSC) will be retained. The CSC’s will be constructed only when the Gram Panchayat takes the responsibility of ownership and a sustainable operation and maintenance system is assured.
CSC’s will include public toilets at markets/bus stands/peri-urban areas/census towns and other places wherever ownership and operation and maintenance is assured.
The responsibility of construction of all school toilets is transferred to the department of school education and literacy and of Anganwadi toilets to the Ministry of women and child development.
The official said competitions for students would also be conducted in the month-long drive.
Under the mission, the cost of a household latrine has been increased from Rs 10,000 to Rs 12,000 for providing water, including for storage, hand washing and cleaning of toilets.