What is Nashik ? – Everything you want to know about the City
Everyone calls Nashik by a different name. It is known to be the city of pilgrimage , Wine Capital of India and the usual friendly banter of calling it Nasik or Nashik.
I love to travel and I have a dream to travel as many miles as I can before I give farewell to this beautiful world called Planet Earth. For me, Nashik has a special place in my heart, it is the place, I call it HOME.
When I travel, I meet a lot of new people, the most common question people ask me while travelling is “Where Are you, From ? ” with a follow up question “What is good about Nashik ? ” Every single time I describe Nashik in a different way. After explaining to so many people around the globe about Nashik, I now know that no one word can describe the City Nashik.I have always seen this city in three parts :
- What Nashik already had.
- Things which Made modern Nashik.
- Future of Nashik.
1. What Nashik already had
Nashik holds a rich history of Hinduism, There are countless temples in Nashik and therefore people call Nashik, the city of pilgrimage. Nashik was able to get several attractions from our history and culture, Some of them are :
- Kumbh Mela :
One can not stop themselves from talking about the Kumbh Mela which happens once in every 12 years. The Maha Kumbh is the buzz word as it approaches.
What is Kumbh Mela ?
Kumbh Mela is a mass Hindu pilgrimage of faith in which Hindus gather to bathe in a sacred or holy river.
billions of rupees are spent over preparation of Kumbh Mela in fact Rs.2297 crore was approved for Kumbh Mela 2015
- Shirdi Sai Baba :
Love one another and help others rise to the higher levels, simply by pouring out love. Love is infectious and the greatest healing energy.Everyone who visits Shirdi Sai Baba temple goes through Nashik. Shirdi Sai Baba, was an Indian spiritual master who was regarded by his devotees as a saint, fakir, and satguru, according to their individual proclivities and beliefs.
– Sai baba
- Beautiful scenery :
You can spend weeks and even months exploring the beautiful sceneries of Nashik. There is something for everyone. If you love water, you will fine huge backwaters in Nashik and you can even spot Flamingos in Nashik from time to time.
Nashik is surrounded by mountains which make it heaven for trekkers ( Top 5 Monsoon Destinations in Nashik ).
2. Things which Made modern Nashik
- Maharashtra Police Acdamy :
The Maharashtra Police Academy located at Nashik, is a pioneer institution which completed 100 years in 2007. This institution has a reputation of producing tough and efficient officers since its inception in 1906. It has had the legacy of British Police officers and very senior I.P.S. officers as its head, where the officers trained have performed exceedingly well in the field.
- Artillery centre:The biggest Artillery Centre in Asia, located just behind the Pandav caves in Nashik. During the India-Pakistan division, the artillery center has been relocated to India, since then the center is under military surveillance. This place served as an important training centre for the officers and soldiers of Indian Army.
At this center, the soldiers get trained to use the most advanced artillery weapons, Bofors gun. This center is acting as one of the greatest contributors of skilled manpower to Indian Army. Artillery Centre in Nashik has produced more than 2,70,000 trained armed force personnel so far and helped the country in defending itself from enemies.
- Aircraft Division Nasik of Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL):Aircraft Division Nasik, established in the year 1964 for licence manufacture of MiG-21FL aircraft & K-13 Missiles, is located at Ojhar, 24 kilometers from Nasik and approximately 200 kilometers from Mumbai in the state of Maharashtra (Read Also : Inside HAL Pragati Museum)
- Nashik Onion and Grapes :Nashik is known as a major exporter of Onion and Grapes, and you can find some of the best quality red Onion of India.
- Nashik Education :
Nashikars are very selective about education and therefor we have several best of the best International and National board school here.
There are currently two universities (as per my knowledge, Please add more in the comment below ) one is Maharashtra University of Health Sciences and Yashwantrao Chavan Maharashtra Open University.
- Wine Capital Of India :
Nashik Is also known as wine capital of India, There are hundreds of vineyards in Nashik city. Brands like Sula And York are making benchmark every year. Recently, Moet Hennessy set the sixth winery outside France in Nashik.
- Nashik is popular for its Wine tourism too as well as wine tasting. Several popular wine festivals are conducted every year in Nashik like the Sula fest. In fact some of the Nashik Wines are served on luxury trains of India
- Nashik Misal pav:
Now after tasting wines, you just cannot miss Nashik’s misal pav. You will find lots of eating joints in Nashik.
People here are die-hard foodies. Most of the time you will see most of the Nashikars hanging out with their friends and family at these eating joints. Have a look at Top 10 Maharashtrian Dishes everyone visiting Nashik must taste
- Nashik Dhol Tasha:
From Bollywood celebrities to God’s of India every one loves Nashik Dhol. In fact,the Nashik Dhol Tasha – Holds a World Record
- Health & Wealth:
Nashikars are very conscious about their health and surroundings. As soon as you enter Nashik the first thing you will notice is the greenery around you and also you will notice lots of green gym in every society of Nashik (Also all the equipment in those gyms are made in Nashik). Hundreds and thousands of people participate in the Nashik Run, which is a yearly event, apart from this we also have a Nashik cyclist group. In fact NMC had proposed NASHIK’S NEW CYCLE TRACK . Now talking about wealth, there are several known businessmen and entrepreneurs. You can read more about them on the stars of the city section of our website.
3. What Next ?
- Smart City:
Recently Ministry of Urban Development announced a concept called SMART CITIES MISSION . Under this mission, the Government took a bold, new initiative to set examples that can be replicated both within and outside the Smart City.
Read : Nashik onlist of Top 8 cities which will be developed as Smart City, Nashik Smart City!
- Nashik Metro:
People have started talking about the Nashik metro just like Delhi Metro and Mumbai Metro and it is named as “Greater Nasik Metro Project” which is still on papers but we Nashikars are looking forward to it.
Share your comment and view below Nashik, What you think about Nashik ?
A photographer by choice, An researcher by curiosity and Entrepreneur for fun 😉
Latest posts by Shashi Kant (see all)
- Rs 66-crore to be invested to make Nashik roads better - September 7, 2017
- This Video of Descending from Harihar Fort Nashik is not for faint hearted - July 11, 2017
- Nashik Maruti showroom accident, is straight out from the movie final destination - June 27, 2017